How to Win a Navy, Air Force, or Army ROTC Scholarship – There are many different types of scholarships that is available for the students. Plenty of advantages are there if a student joins an ROTC program. But again, there is a criteria that the students should join an ROTC program while they are in college. This program mainly teaches the students to protect their country and serve their nation. Once the students joins the community that is comprised of other students & they become committed to what they learn then they also qualify for a ROTC scholarship. An ROTC scholarship is one of the most generous of scholarships. You cannot simply get a scholarship in ROTC program, for getting the scholarships you have to join and apply for the program and see which of the programs suits the best according to your career goals.
Apart from that, to qualify for this type of scholarship it is very important that you forward an application that is a winning scholarship application. One of the most popular kinds of scholarship that you can win is the Fulbright scholarship. In this guide, you will get to know about the ROTC scholarships.
In this guide, you will get to know about the following –
- US Navy, Army & Air force offering different types of ROTC scholarships
- The eligibility for ROTC scholarship
- ROTC scholarships application timeline
- The methods of submitting ROTC scholarship
- 3 tips for an enhanced ROTC scholarship
Let us look at some of the general information on ROTC scholarship –
What is ROTC?
The full form of ROTC is reserve officers training corps. The candidates who wish to further pursue their studies and want to serve in the US military can join after they have graduated from college. It is a training program where you get to learn and train yourselves on serving the nation.
More than 1700+ colleges are there where you can sign up for this program. You can go online and search online links for the following –
Army ROTC Colleges
Navy ROTC Colleges
Air Force ROTC Colleges
What Do You Learn in ROTC?
There are many things that one learns in an ROTC, but basically the candidates are taught like what it takes to become officer or cadet in the chosen field i.e. army, military, navy. You can also watch the online video of the army officers where some basic training is involved i.e. soldiering drills, training on physical fitness and leadership development.
What Is an ROTC Scholarship?
Through ROTC programs, you can even get full-ride scholarships through army, navy, air force as they offer thousands of programs for college scholarships. These programs are for both high school students and present college students.
But one cannot get all the same benefits from an ROTC scholarship and also the amount of money differs. So, let us look at the different amount of scholarships.
Army ROTC Scholarships
The candidates of the Army ROTC Scholarships would receive award that covers full tuition, fees, books, and a monthly stipend.
4-Year College Scholarship
Presently studying high school students who will soon be graduating can apply for this scholarship and attend the 4 years college program.
3-Year College Scholarship
If you are a candidate, who is presently studying in college and has 3 more years to complete and become a graduate can apply for this scholarship.
2-Year College Scholarship
Presently studying candidates who have two more years to complete the college degree can apply for this scholarship.
The candidates, who have applied for Navy / Marine Corps ROTC Scholarships, would get an award that covers full tuition, books, fees, and a monthly stipend.
The candidates who are currently a high school student those who will graduate soon and have plans to attend a 4-year college program & those who have keen interest in joining the navy can apply for this scholarship.
4-Year Marine Corps Option Scholarship
The candidates who are currently a high school student those who will graduate soon and have plans to attend a 4-year college program & those who have keen interest in joining the marines can apply for this scholarship.
The candidates who are currently a high school student those who will graduate soon and have plans to attend a 4-year college program i.e. nursing degree BSN & those who have keen interest in joining the navy can apply for this scholarship.
There are certain requirements that you have to meet. Plus, if you are already in college i.e. pursuing your degree then you have the options to apply for similar 2-3 years scholarship for the Navy-Nurse, Marine Corps, and Navy ROTC programs. However, let us first look into the requirements that are important to meet the eligibility –
- The candidate should have at least 30 semesters’ hours i.e. 45-quarter hours but it should not be more than 120 semester hours i.e. 180 quarters.
- The candidates should have minimum college GPA of 2.5 i.e. on a 4.0 scale.
- The school from which the candidate is being nominated/admitted should be affiliated with Navy ROTC unit.
Air Force ROTC Scholarships
The Air Force ROTC Scholarships of various kinds have different amounts and apart from that it depends on when and what type of scholarship the candidate is applying for. Scholarships are available for enlisted cadets, college students, and high school students.
Air Force ROTC Scholarships for High School Students
The candidates can apply for this type of scholarships if they are presently pursuing high school studies and will soon graduate and have plans to attend the 4-year college program.
Type 1 Scholarship
The candidate of this scholarship will receive an award which covers full tuition and authorized fees . Apart from that it is available in any public or private college/university with an Air Force ROTC detachment. In addition, the candidates would receive a monthly stipend, ranging from $300-500, for living expenses and an annual stipend of $900 for textbooks.
Type 2 Scholarship
The candidate of this scholarship, shall receive an award that pays up to $18,000 per year in college tuition and authorized fees at any public or private college/university with an Air Force ROTC detachment. Apart from that the candidates shall also get a monthly stipend, ranging from $300-500, for living expenses and an annual stipend of $900 for textbooks.
Type 7 Scholarship
The candidates of this scholarship will receive an award that has full tuition and authorized fees at any public in-state college/university with an Air Force ROTC detachment. Plus, the candidates will also get a monthly stipend, ranging from $300-500, for living expenses and an annual stipend of $900 for textbooks.
Apart from the above mentioned in a type 7 scholarships there is also a choice for the candidates to turn the scholarship into a 3 year type 2 scholarship and this scholarship can be used at private colleges or universities or out-of-state colleges or universities.
Air Force ROTC Scholarships for Current College Students
If you are a present college student, currently pursuing your college course then you can apply for the following Air Force ROTC scholarship program.
Type 1 Scholarship
Candidates can apply for this scholarship if they are a cadet pursuing a degree in technical major. It includes subjects like Chemistry or Mechanical Engineering.
The candidates of this scholarship would receive an award that covers full tuition and authorized fees at any public in-state college/university with an Air Force ROTC detachment. Plus, the candidates shall also get a monthly stipend, ranging from $300-500, for living expenses and an annual stipend of $900 for textbooks.
Type 2 Scholarship
If you are, a sophomore enrolled in your college’s Air force ROTC In-college scholarship program or if you are a college freshman, then you can apply for this type of scholarships.
The candidates of this scholarship would receive an award that pays up to $18,000 per year in college tuition and authorized fees at any public or private college/university with an Air Force ROTC detachment. Plus, the candidates shall also get a monthly stipend, ranging from $300-500, for living expenses and an annual stipend of $900 for textbooks.
If you are a undergraduate sophomore or a junior at the college or university then you can apply for this scholarship. But the college or university should be accredited by National League for Nursing Accreditation Commission (NLNAC) or Commission on Collegiate Nursing Education (CCNE), then only you can apply for the scholarship.
The nursing scholarship amount is the same as Type 1 and Type 2 scholarships, and it depends on when you are applying for the scholarship.
Air Force ROTC Scholarships for Enlisted Cadets
If you are already enlisted air force personnel then you can apply for this type of scholarship, provided you should show your interest to return to school and study full-time.
Airman Scholarship & Commissioning Program (ASCP) and Scholarship for Outstanding Airmen to ROTC (SOAR)
The candidates of either one of these scholarships , shall receive an award that pays up to $18,000 per academic year. You’d also receive a monthly stipend, ranging from $300-500, for living expenses and an annual stipend of $900 for textbooks. Once you complete the graduation and finish the program, the candidate would be commissioned as a 2nd lieutenant in the US Air Force.
ROTC Scholarship Eligibility Requirements
Your eligibility for the ROTC scholarship mainly depends on what branch of the military you are planning to join and the type of scholarship that you will win. In this guide, below you will know about the general eligibility requirements for high school students those who wish to enter ROTC program. Apart from that, there will also be a mention for the college graduates about the military service requirements.
Army ROTC Scholarship Eligibility Requirements
To apply for this scholarship as a high school student, you should meet the following requirements –
- Should be a citizen of US with age between 17 and 26
- Should have a cumulative high school GPA of at least 2.5
- Should have a high school diploma or any equivalent degree
- Should score at least 1000 on the SAT or should score 19 on the ACT.
- Should meet the physical standards of passing the army fitness test
Army ROTC Service Commitment
Once you accept the Army ROTC scholarship, you should also agree to –
- An 8 year service commitment with the Army
- 4 years service in the army full time and 4 years with individual ready reserve (IRR)
- Chosen Cadets may choose to serve part time in the Army Reserve or Army National Guard while pursuing a civilian career
As a high school student, you should meet the following eligibility requirements when you apply for a navy ROTC scholarship –
- Should be a US citizen, naturalized US citizen or in the process of becoming a naturalized U.S. citizen
- Should be between the ages 17-23 by September 1 of the year starting college
- Graduate from high school or gain an equivalent certificate by August 1 of the year of entrance into the four-year Navy ROTC Scholarship program
In the SAT Test, the candidates should score the following – 540 in Maths, 550 in evidence based reading and writing and 1100 combined i.e. maths + evidence based reading and writing.
In the ACT test, the candidates should have the following scores – 21 in math, then 22 in English and total 44 combined in Math+English. Or
The candidates can get a cumulative high school GPA of 2.75 (on a 4.0 Scale) AND a 2.0 grade (on a 4.0 Scale) in Algebra II (or equivalent course).
Apart from all of this, a statement is also needed from the candidate’s high school counselor or senior JROTC instructor, which certifies that SAT or ACT test was not available for you in the school.
Marine Application Test Scores –
In this application for scholarship, the test scores that are needed are that the candidates should score at least 1000 in SAT i.e. combined of math and evidence based reading and writing portions of the test. Apart from this, the candidate can also give ACT test, and the minimum score that is required is the score of 22. In addition, the armed forces qualification tests i.e. AFQT minimum score should be 74.
The candidates who are a graduate of the Navy ROTC program, they shall be required to serve for 5 years in active military service. Additional requirements are also there which can be checked online.
Apart from that, the candidates who are a graduate of the Marine Corps option/program should server for at least 4 years on active duty.
And the same applies to the navy nurse corps option, they are required to serve for at least 4 years on active duty.
Air Force ROTC Scholarship Eligibility Requirements
The eligibility requirements for the air force ROTC scholarship is as follows –
- Should be a citizen of US or obtain U.S. citizenship by the last day of the first term of your freshman year (for four-year offers) or the first term of sophomore year (for three-year offers)
- Should pass a Department of Defense Medical Examination Review Board (DODMERB) medical exam
- Should complete the physical fitness assessment, that consists of 3 events – push-ups, sit-ups, and 1.5 mile run
- If offered a scholarship, the candidate should pass a Physical Fitness Test before the end of your first semester of college (for high school applicants)
- Should get a composite score of 1240 in SAT or 26 in ACT (for high school applicants)
- The candidate should have a cumulative un-weighted GPA of 3.0. or higher (for high school applicants, college applicants. The candidates school’s Air Force ROTC Commander shall determine the minimum GPA).
Air Force ROTC Service Commitment
You should accept the following terms and conditions when you get a AFROTC scholarship –
- You should complete a 13 day summer field training course at Maxwell AFB, Alabama, between your sophomore and junior years.
- You should complete the Air Force ROTC General Military Course (GMC) in your freshman and sophomore years.
- You should complete the Professional Officer Course (POC) in your junior and senior years.
- You should accept a commission as an Air Force officer and serve at least four years on active duty.
How to Apply for an ROTC Scholarship
Army ROTC Scholarships
The candidate’s application for an Army ROTC Scholarship will include:
- A complete online application
- Should include the candidates high school transcripts
- Should include SAT or ACT test scores
- Should include the results from the ROTC Basic Fitness Test
- Apart from this, the candidates will be required to attend an interview with the Army ROTC program. For this interview, the candidates can select their choice of colleges.
The candidate’s application for a Navy ROTC Scholarship will include:
- Should complete an online application
- Should include SAT or ACT scores
- Should include volunteer and work history
- Should include list of extracurricular activities and noteworthy accomplishments
- Should include your college choices and planned major
- Should include several short scholarship application essays
- Should include at least 3 recommendations – 1) a guidance counselor/school administrator; 2) a math, science, or English teacher (depending on program option), and 3) another teacher, counselor, coach, or employer.
Air Force ROTC Scholarships
The candidates Air Force ROTC Scholarship will include:
- Should include a complete online application
- Should include high school transcripts
- Should include SAT or ACT scores
- Should include a form completed and signed by their high school counselor (you can also check online for an old version of the formfor reference!)
- Should include results from the Physical Fitness Assessment
ROTC Scholarship Application Timelines
Army ROTC Scholarships
From the month of June 2021, the application opens and the application deadline is February 2022. These dates are based on the previous application cycle. The official dates for application and the deadline is not yet announced. You can check online for more details.
The application opens on 1st April, 2021 and the deadline is January 31, 2022.
Air Force ROTC Scholarships
The applications open on 1st July, 2021 and the application deadline is December 31st, 2021.
3 Tips to Increase Your Chances of Winning an ROTC Scholarship
For an ROTC scholarship, you do not have to simply give an application. The scholarship application should be a competitive one. Therefore, here are few tips on how you can make your application look competitive.
Express Interest As Early As Possible
The ROTC programs are looking for students who are ready to server their country. They mostly want serious students. So, before making a scholarship application make sure that this is the path for you. Plus, you should make the scholarship application as early as possible. So, you should contact the adviser at your college, visiting a recruitment office or if you are continuing your high school and joining Junior ROTC (JROTC).
Apply for a Major that’s Highly Valued by the Military
There are no ROTC scholarships, that will require the candidates to acquire a major in any particular subject. But there are advantages also if you plan to major in a subject that should be valuable for your career in the military.
For instance, the Air Force ROTC scholarship program states that students studying technical majors like mechanical engineering or computer science may receive priority in scholarship during the selection process. Plus, the ROTC team will also view some foreign languages, pre-med, nursing and other medical related majors. They also have their list of highly desired majors.
Exceed the Academic Requirements
You need minimum scores to qualify for the scholarship program, but it would be better if you score high. The ROTC programs want to award the best overall profile or scholarship application. You check free online study resources if you want to make a better application like you check the resources at Khan Academy.
Where to Find More Scholarships
You can check on how to make more winning scholarship applications. There are other dozens of scholarship applications also that you can easily check or find out in buchananreform. Meanwhile you can also check some other blogs with the topics like how to apply for FAFSA, write amazing personal statements, and win competitive scholarships like the National Merit Scholarship.
There are plenty of scholarships that are available apart from the ROTC scholarships. The ROTC scholarship is mainly for those students who wish to pursue their career in the military. But again there are some criteria and it is important for the candidates to serve the country and be in service for at least 4 years. It is compulsory for the candidates to be active in the service. Plus, there will also be a physical fitness test, so the candidates should be healthy and should know the requirements that is needed to pass the PFT (physical Fitness test). Some additional requirements may also be there, which the candidates can check online.